Frequently Asked Questions
Back to top
What happens once the grant is awarded?
- NSF will notify you of an award; OSR sends award mailing to your advisor (PI), research administrator and department administrator.
- Time to award varies, a good estimate is 6 months from submission date
- OSR will set up a chartstring that you will use to charge your research expenses. This should take roughly 2 weeks from when OSR receives the Notice of Award
- You will work with departmental staff to be reimbursed for expenses in accordance Northwestern policies.
- Awards set up as grants at Northwestern are not income and are not taxable.
For nonfederal grants: does a grant need to be administered by OSR or can we opt to receive the funds directly?
- All proposals for both federal and non-federal grants must be reviewed and approved by OSR prior to submission.
- All awards for both federal and non-federal grants will be set up as sponsored projects
This protects you!
Do we need to work with OSR for ALL grants/fellowships (including private foundations etc), or just those with federal funds?
You work with your research administrator to create the proposal submission; RA works with OSR for approval and submission.
Fellowships vs. grants:
- Who is the “applicant” in solicitation?
- If student, then it’s probably a fellowship
- If institution (i.e. Northwestern) is applicant, then it’s probably a grant
- Also means you cannot do actual submission, it must be OSR
- If you are working with Office of Fellowships, it’s a fellowship.
- If Wenner Gren: student is applicant, but it’s a grant and OSR must review the budget, and award is run through NU.
- Fullbright–can be run through Northwestern
Bottom Line: it’s complicated. Contact your RA to be sure.
How much can we depart from our original budget?
- Depends on the sponsor’s policy
- In general, you should contact your RA to discuss changes in spending
- It may be necessary at times for you to contact your program officer
- NSF allows flexibility in spending (within 25% of budget categories)
- May need to work with RA to open additional spending categories (account codes)