Minors, Certificates and Concentrations
Every student in Weinberg College must complete a major in order to graduate, as well as other degree requirements. Unless you transferred late into Weinberg College or took a long time to choose a major (or you're doing an adjunct major that requires completion of another major too), you will probably have several slots left over for elective courses.
How should you select your elective courses? One possibility is to use some of them to complete a minor, certificate, or concentration. These options offer you an organized way to pursue a secondary interest without taking on the burdens of a second major.
Options for Weinberg College students are available within Weinberg College and in several other schools at Northwestern.
Minors in Weinberg College
Weinberg College offers minors in more than 40 departments and programs; each requires between six and nine courses.
- Review all Weinberg College minors
- Rules and policies for minors
- Minor worksheets list specific requirements
Minors and certificates at other Northwestern schools
School of Communication
- The School of Communication offers several minors open to Weinberg students:
School of Education and Social Policy
- The School of Education and Social Policy offers a certificate in civic engagement.
- Weinberg College students interested in becoming teachers can earn state teaching certification through the secondary teaching program.
McCormick School of Engineering
- The Segal Design Institute offers a certificate in engineering design.
- The Center for Leadership offers a leadership certificate.
- The Farley Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation offers a certificate in entrepreneurship.
- The Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering offers a minor in biotechnology and biochemical engineering.
Kellogg School of Management
- Kellogg School of Management offers two certificate programs for undergraduates with strong analytic skills, one in financial economics and one in managerial analytics.
Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications
- Medill offers an undergraduate certificate in integrated marketing communications.
Bienen School of Music
- Bienen offers several minors open to Weinberg students:
- Commercial Music
- Jazz Studies
- Music Cognition
- Music Composition
- Music Technology
- Bienen offers a concentration in music.
- Weinberg students can minor in transportation and logistics.
- The Initiative for Sustaininability and Energy at Northwestern (ISEN) offers a certificate in energy and sustainability.
Before you decide to complete a minor, certificate, or concentration, you should carefully consider your options; while you may choose that option, you may decide instead to use your electives to take courses in multiple fields so that you can go deeper into more areas of interest. Consult with your College Adviser and an adviser in the particular program you are considering to weigh your options.Back to top