Skip to main content
Northwestern University

On-Boarding Checklist

This checklist provides information and documents to create a human resource record, including your email account, at Northwestern University. You may begin this process up to three months in advance of your start date.

Upon accepting:

Personal Data Form

Please fill out the Personal Data Form at your earliest convenience and return to the Weinberg College Dean’s Office via fax at 847-467-1553 or email

(Note: As a new employee, you may leave the information in box #2 and 16 blank.) 

This form will be used by NUIT to set up a unique Northwestern net ID and email address; the Weinberg College Dean’s Office will send you instructions on how to activate these once your appointment is processed by payroll. 

Direct Deposit

Direct Deposit is the preferred method for providing employees' paychecks; choosing direct deposit guarantees that your payroll will be deposited automatically to your bank account each pay day without the worry of cashing or depositing paper checks. Direct Deposit Form

Tax Information and Forms

Employee Tax Information and Employee Tax Forms should be mailed or delivered in person to Courtney Essenpreis, WCAS Dean’s Office, when you arrive on campus. Original copies are required.

Employment Eligibility Form (I9)

To comply with Federal law, Northwestern University participates in E-Verify. All newly hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA) to verify their identity and employment eligibility.

No later than the first day you will start being paid on Northwestern University’s payroll system, you must complete Section 1 of the Employment Eligibility Form I-9. This can be completed from any computer. 

Upon login, you will need to enter the following information:

Once you’ve completed section 1 please contact the Dean’s Office (847) 491-3276 to complete section 2. You must complete Section 2 of the I9 by no later than the end of the third day.  This can be completed in your department, the Dean's Office, or the Payroll Office. If you will not be on campus on or before your first day of pay, then you must go through the remote agent verification process. Full instructions can be found on the Remote Hire Quick Sheet

When completing the I9 process, you must bring identification to establish your identity and verify that you are eligible to work in the United States.  The most common acceptable documents for U.S. persons are a U.S. Passport or Driver’s license and Social Security card.  See the acceptable document list for more information.

The I9 Form should be completed as soon as possible after you arrive on campus; failure to complete the form will not delay the entry into FASIS but it will prevent you from receiving your paycheck. Visit the HR website for additional information on the I9 process and requirements.

Please notify the WCAS Dean’s Office if you will not be present at Northwestern University on your first day of employment.

Retirement Plan

Northwestern requires faculty to fulfill one year of service before the University will match contributions to your retirement plan.  However, this service requirement may be waived in some cases.  Please visit our the NU retirement information page to determine if you qualify for this waiver and if so, have your current employer complete the required paperwork before you leave.


Should you need assistance with visa processing, the Dean's Office can advise you about the steps to obtain the appropriate visa to begin work at Northwestern.  (


If your contract includes an allowance for moving expenses, please be in touch with our finance office to make arrangements.

Upon arrival at Northwestern:


It is very important that faculty members who wish to participate in Northwestern benefits plans enroll promptly. Participation in the University’s benefits plans requires that a new faculty member complete the enrollment process within 31 days of hire or benefits eligibility. Thus, a faculty member with an appointment beginning September 1 must complete the enrollment process no later than October 1. This process may be completed online using the University’s FASIS Self Service online enrollment system. Enrolling online as early as possible will allow time for the insurance companies to process your enrollment and issue membership ID cards.

Failure to complete the enrollment process by the stated deadline may necessitate the postponement of the coverage date until the following January and/or proof of qualification for insurance (as through a medical examination) for the life, long term care, and disability plans during the Fall Open Enrollment period. You can complete the online enrollment process as soon as you have an active University NetID and password. 

If you are adding a dependent to your medical insurance, you will need to provide documentation to prove dependency.  For a list of the necessary verification documents, please refer to the “How Do I Verify My Dependents?” web page.

You may obtain benefit plan information, online enrollment instructions, a link to the FASIS Self Service site, and the secondary enrollment step forms from the Benefits Division website or obtain them in Evanston from the Benefits Division (720 University Place, 2nd floor), or the Chicago Campus Human Resources Office (710 N. Lake Shore Drive, Abbott Hall, Room 150).  You can also schedule an appointment with a Benefits Counselor at these offices to discuss your benefit options.


If your contract includes a computing allowance, you will receive an email from the Director of Weinberg College IT, explaining computer purchase and replacement policies. You may work with your department’s administrator to arrange for your computer.


Once your FASIS record is established you may obtain your campus WildCARD, the official Northwestern photo identification card. This campus ID card can be used to gain entrance to University facilities and events; use the university shuttle service; check out library materials and much more. Additionally, U.S. Bank checking account holders can use their WildCARD as their ATM/debit card. Spouses or domestic partners of faculty can obtain a campus WildCARD for a nominal fee of $10. 

Many area businesses offer discounts to card holders through the WildCARD Advantage Program. Discounts and services vary.

Department/Program onboarding

Your department or program administrator will work with you to establish your department webpage, order supplies and books, add you to listservs, etc.  If your offer letter includes office or lab space, your administrator will help obtain keys, office and lab phone numbers, and establish your discretionary or research funds (if included in your offer). Contact your department or program administrator for assistance.

Back to top