Skip to main content
Northwestern University

Applying for a Leave of Absence

Weinberg and University policies

Download Weinberg College's policy on leaves of absence.

In addition, the University's policy on leaves of absence (personal and academic) is published in Northwestern's Faculty Handbook. The Office of the Provost also provides supplemental information on their Faculty Leaves webpage.

Submit a request

Medical and family leave

Please note that requests for medical and family leave, including parental leave, should be directed to The Hartford by visiting, or by calling (888) 541-7283. 

Personal leave

Requests for personal, non-research/academic leaves of absence (other than medical and family leaves) should be submitted directly to Weinberg's Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs via email. Please describe the nature of your request and the proposed duration of your leave.

Research/academic leave

Initiate an application, below, for a research/academic leave. Please note that incomplete applications cannot be saved. Please review the entire application before you begin to ensure you have the necessary information to complete the required fields. Also note that supporting documents (e.g., award notices, budgets, etc.) must be emailed separately to Faculty Affairs.

Begin the application.

Back to top